Genetic Testing

Genetic testing is a painless and simple option if you are unsure who the biological father is.

If either parent is unsure of who the father of the child is, they are strongly encouraged to request a genetic testing.

A genetic test, also called a DNA test, can determine if the alleged father is the biological father. The test is 99.9% accurate in determining the probability that a man is the biological father.

Genetic Testing FAQs

+ We’re not sure if he’s the father, but he wants to be on the birth certificate. What should we do?

  • If either parent is unsure if a man is the father of the child, they should consider pursuing genetic testing. The Acknowledgement of Paternity Affidavit form should not be used unless both parents are certain that the man listed on the form is the biological father.

+ How is genetic testing done?

  • The genetic, or DNA test, is administered by collecting samples and sending them to a laboratory for comparison with the child's sample.

+ What will the genetic test show?

  • The test can show with 99.9% certainty, that a man is the biological father of the child. It can also show if a man is not the biological father of the child.

+ Is the test painful?

  • Not at all. In most cases, a buccal swab of the cheek is taken from the mother, child and alleged father. The swab consists of a gentle swab of the inside of each cheek and takes less than a minute.

+ How old does my child need to be to have genetic testing?

  • Genetic testing can be performed on children as young as newborns by utilizing a buccal swab test, which takes a sample from the inside of the cheek instead of a blood sample.

+ If the genetic test shows there is a 99% probability that a man is the biological father, can the man be the father without going to the court?

  • Yes, if the testing is done outside the court/CSEA. If the testing is done by the CSEA, then the CSEA will issue an administrative order determining the existence of the father and child relationship.

+ Who is responsible for the fee of the genetic test?

  • When the child spport eforcement aency (CSEA) is establishing paternity, the genetic material (blood or cheek cells) is generally collected at the CSEA. The CSEA pays for the test initially, but may request that the father reimburse the CSEA for the test later on. The cost for these tests is relatively inexpensive. You should discuss this with the CSEA.

+ Where can I go for genetic or DNA testing?

  • Unmarried parents may obtain genetic testing through the local cild spport eforcement aency (CSEA). Parents should request the testing in the mother’s county of residence. Click Here to locate the CSEA for the mother’s county. After getting the results of the genetic tests, the CSEA will issue an order of establishment or non-establishment of paternity. The CSEA can also submit paperwork to change the child’s birth certificate accordingly.

+ The father is out of state. How can we get genetic testing?

  • The mother may contact the child support enforcement agency (CSEA) in her county for assistance in obtaining genetic testing when the father lives out of state.

Do you have any questions? Check out our FAQs Page